Film and Services
Milparinka Local and Family History Centre
$2.00 Entry fee applies
Without doubt, the Milparinka Courthouse is a most imposing structure. From the crest of a rise above the Evelyn Creek this solid old building looks out across the stony tracts of land to the southwest of Milparinka, toward the place where miners and their families eked out a miserable existence so long ago.
The building's life as a courthouse was short lived. By 1921 the final session had been held. The building then entered a short period of use as a post office, and later as the local Pastures Protection Board office. In the late 1980's the local community oversaw a restoration program, and on November 5th, 2002, NSW State Member for Murray-Darling, Mr Peter Black, OAM, officiated at a ceremony to mark the opening of the building as Milparinka's Local History Centre.
Interpretive panels depict the region's colourful history from the times of explorers such as Charles Sturt and Burke and Wills, to the history of the Albert Goldfields.
The rear room has been devoted to Family History Reference Material, including photographs and records of births, deaths and marriages.
|Home| |Attractions| |Cameron Corner and the Wild Dog Fence | |Depot Glen| |Local Events| |Milparinka Courthouse| Milparinka Barracks |Mt Browne Goldfields| |Sturt National Park| |The Big Wool Shed | |Tibooburra Keeping Place|