.The Albert township was part of the Albert Goldfields
during the 1880s.
A range of rugged
hills that forms part of the Barrier Ranges and lies to the north of Broken Hill.
Corner and the Wild Dog Fence. The
junction of New South Wales, South Australia and Queensland, surveyed in 1880 by
Gates in the Wild Dog allow visitors to the region to pass into
. Local fresh water
lake adjacent to Silver City Highway.
Filled from Evelyn Creek.
Church of the Corner, Tibooburra
. Established in 1963 by the Australian Inland Mission.
Just a few minutes from Milparinka, visitors to Depot Glen, Poole's Grave and
Sturt's Cairn can gain an insight into the times of one of Australia's great
expeditions, Captain Charles Sturt's 1845 search for the inland sea..
Dead Horse Gully
. Camp site just 1
km from Tibooburra
. Rugged gorge
adjacent to Silver City Highway to the north of Broken Hill.
Abandoned tin mining township of Euriowie stood alongside creek.
. Gum creek flowing
past Milparinka. A waterhole in the
creek provided water for the miners of the Mount Browne Goldfields.
Established 1883. Location of famous murals of artist
Clifton Pugh and others.
. North western
base camp of Charles Sturtís expedition. Now part of Sturt National Park.
Gold Stamper. Ruins of gold stamp used on Granites Gold Field.
Golden Gully Mining Site
. Reconstruction of mining sites and methods, with
interpretive material. Adjacent to Dead
See Sturt National Park
Good Friday Gold Diggings
. Remains of early gold mining on the Albert Goldfields.
Permission required from landholders to enter property of Mt Poole.
Gorge Loop Road
. Scenic drive of 100 km through Sturt National park
Gum Vale Gorge
. Ancient rugged creek bed with plentiful wildlife lying
west of Tibooburra.
. Eliza Kennedy Grave located in the Cobham
Jump-Up Loop Road
. Scenic drive through Sturt National Park of 110 km
Settlement on the Copper Creek in SA, famous for Burke and
Wills and the Australian Inland Mission nurse's station. .
Like many communities in
the region typhoid and dysentery were major killers in the early
days of Milparinka.
The Milparinka Courthouse is a showcase of late nineteenth century
architecture. On November 5th, 2002, the building was opened as Milparinka's Heritage Centre.
Barracks Visitor Centre.
Restored during 2004 and 2005, the Visitor Centre was officially opened on
Easter Saturday 2005. Call in for a cup of coffee or tea, and a browse
around the barrack's displays and interpretive reading material. Built
from local sandstone in the 1880s the police barracks remain in good relatively
Milparinka Mining Heritage Centre Milparinka's Police Cells are now restored, thanks to the Australian
Government's Regional Partnerships program, and New South Wales Heritage.
As part of the Barracks Visitor Centre business the cells are now used as an
interpretive centre for the region's mining history.
Milparinka Walking Trail.
The complexity of the Milparinka landscape is no longer apparent, so we
plotted a route around the old township, marked specific locations and printed a
brochure with map and site information. The guide is available from the Visitor Information
Centre and the hotel.
Historic Township and Goldfields A short distance to the southwest of Milparinka lie the Mt Browne
Goldfields. Formerly a part of the Albert fields, Mt Browne is a place
filled with reminders of the difficult years of gold mining.
. Location of Depot Glen, Sturtís Cairn and Pooleís
Grave. Also local sheep station.,
west of Milparinka.
. Station property adjacent to Tibooburra and Sturt Nat
Park. Camping and prospecting by arrangement.
Named after John Mcdouall Stuart
. A former station property now part of Sturt National Park.
Features homestead accommodation, outdoor displays.
Ninety Mile Bore
. Former public stock watering place on the Wanaaring Road
A former station property,
now part of Sturt National Park.
. Modern Roadhouse facility adjacent to Silver City Highway,
175 kms north of Broken Hill. Fuel and accommodation available.
. Local history park in Tibooburra.
Houses memorabilia and a full sized replica of Charles Sturt boat.
Cairn constructed on top of Mt Poole by the
members of Sturtís expedition.
National Park .
Premier national park of
the Corner Country, occupying
344 000 hectares.
Big Wool Shed, Reola Station Located 115 kilometres north of White Cliffs,
The Big Woolshed is a feature of Reola Station. Built in 1990, this shearing
shed handles 2500 sheep each day. Appointments are required.
. Largest township of the Corner Country, formerly known as
The Granites. Founded in the 1880s
during the goldrush. Population
today approximately 120.
Tibooburra Aboriginal Reserve
. Campsites and picnic spots just a few minutes from the
Tibooburra Health Centre
. Former local hospital, now health centre.
RFDS visits every Tuesday.
Tibooburra Keeping Place. Established in 2000 by the Tibooburra Local Aboriginal Land Council, this
houses a collection of traditional aboriginal artefacts. Arts and crafts are on
sale. The Keeping Place opens in March 2001.
Tibooburra Outback School of the Air
. Most remote school in NSW servicing the children of
Tibooburra and the Corner
Tibooburra Regeneration Area.
Area of native plants surrounding Tibooburra
. Established by members of the community.
Tibooburra War Memorial. Memorial
to those from the region who served Australia during the First and Second World
Waka Shearing Shed
. Heritage cane-grass shearing shed on Waka Station, west of
Tibooburra. Private Property.
Gate through the Queensland section of Wild Dog Fence.
Former Hotel north of Tibooburra.
. Lake area located near Fort Grey in Sturt National